looking for shared web hosting

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 3 00:02:29 UTC 2006

On 12/2/06, Michael Hong <crepuscule-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'm looking for shared web hosting for ~ $5 - $15 / month.  I don't have
> any content really :) but I thought it's about time I got my own domain.
> Also, I'd like to play around with the usual LAMP stuff...
>
> Has anyone anything good or bad to say about any of the following
> services?

I deal with a local company (with people I know from work):
  <http://moonbase.info/>
They start at $4.95/mo.

> Is it best to buy a domain from a different place rather than getting
> the domain plus hosting service from the same company?

There's no technical reason to prefer to have the hosting service
arrange for domain name registration, and some reasons why to prefer
NOT to share that with them.

If they arrange for domain registration, and even maybe pay for it,
then *they* are the registrant for the domain, and if you ever have
reason to walk away to another hosting provider, you may have to walk
away from your domain name.  I'd consider that plenty unacceptable.

Before I went to moonbase.info, I was using a hosting service out of
Philadelphia.  The company went under (I was nearly their only
customer, I gather), and I was left without website (and email) for a
little while.  The fact that the domain registration was completely in
my name meant I had no trouble reactivating it against one of
moonbase's servers almost immediately.

If jwshosting (old company) had been the registrant for my domain
names, I'd have been seriously screwed.  There are mechanisms for
requesting transfers of domains, and disputing ownership; it's a
complete nightmare in comparison with your holding the authinfo for
your own domain names.
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)