For $150, Third-World Laptop Stirs a Big Debate

Simon simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 1 21:24:15 UTC 2006

I won't consider the current computing market anything but a
monoculture significant fraction of people have the option of getting
their "main" box something other than an x86 arch cpu.  This could be
a low end performance sort of thing, like ARM, or MIPS ( slightly
higher performance range compared to ARM? Someone correct me if I'm
wrong please ), or in the high end, like Cell powered workstations
becoming somewhat prevalent as desktop systems.  Until then, we're
still on an x86 monoculture.  I'd have more to say about this if I
wasn't so clueless about the merits of various CPU architectures.  As
it is now, I just have assumed x86 is still popular mostly because of
widespread usage of closed-source software that scares hardware
vendors out of offering consumer products that run on different
hardware.  Then again, Apple's move to x86 sheds some doubt on this
assumption.