php and me don't get alone... help?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 1 17:10:58 UTC 2006

On Thursday 30 November 2006 22:54, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> On Thursday 30 November 2006 21:04, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> > > I wanted to point out that using rpm's etc is seldom the best
> > > way of installing and configuring these beasts. Why? PHP offers
> > > a lot of optional libraries. I am personally used to play with
> > > many, just for fun or purpose. And it is highly unlikely to
> > > find an rpm that would allow me to use just these libraries
> > > that I need. Besides, things change from distribution to
> > > distribution, from one php release version to another.
> > >
> > > Hence, I become independent of rpm's to avoid problems and
> > > confusion. I keep notes about every new installation of apache
> > > (with PHP, etc) I do and, believe me or not, after a few tens
> > > of times at least i did installation, I do not need to use
> > > these notes much ;) But after already making installation once,
> > > properly, one knows how to compile all this stuff and not worry
> > > about finding a proper rpm.
> >
> > Why not rebuild the RPM instead? I've had to rebuild the Postfix
> > RPM before to support PostgreSQL for authentication and it was
> > trivially easy. I didn't have to pollute my system with stuff
> > that is outside the package manager's control.
>
> A very good point.
>
> I mean: of comparable quality as mine ;)
>
> I am saying: learn to compile.
>
> You argue: learn to build your own rpm.

Not quite. I suggested you *re*build, not build, though there is also
merit in the latter. I've yet to encounter an RPM based distro for
which there is no package for PHP, PostgreSQL, and Apache so that
means you would have access to the SRPMs for all three. If you have
the SRPM, you can rebuild the RPM. I don't know about these
particular three packages but if the SPEC file allows for it, you can
pass build options to rpmbuild.

> As for me: educative (i did not try to build my own rpm, so far)

You obviously know how to build things from source. That means you
already know most of what you need to know to build your own RPMs.
I'd suggest starting with something simple, something that doesn't
have a package for your distro, something that you normally would
build from source and just stick in /usr/local anyway. If there is an
RPM for another distro or for an older version, all the better
because you can then adapt the SPEC file for your distro.

Once you start building your own RPMs, you can set up a private
repository, urpmi, yum, smart, whatever your distro supports and you
like. You'll just have to add your private repository to your sources
list on subsequent machines so that you can use the package
management tools provided by your distro to install, remove, or
update your custom packages.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay