For $150, Third-World Laptop Stirs a Big Debate

Chris F.A. Johnson cfaj-uVmiyxGBW52XDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 1 14:30:22 UTC 2006

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Rick Tomaschuk wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 00:45 -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
>
>> When shipped in *that* form, they require no "tender loving care;"
>> they need only throw them at a bin, because nobody cares if the
>> computers survive the trip intact.
>
> I don't agree. I've been in and around shipping for decades. You don't
> know what you're talking about.

    Are you seriously suggesting that computer equipment shipped for
    scrap is packaged with the same care as computers intended for use?

    Has your shipping experience included sending computers for scrap?

>> Evidently you haven't examined the specifications of the OLPC.  It's
>> only a "better" machine based on metrics that assume local
>> infrastructure involves regular power losses.
>>
> I'm old enough to have learned to read using books. What wrong with
> books? They can be read using a candle.

    How many books can you buy for the price of an OLPC machine?
    Probably not enough to see a student through the first grade.

    How many newspapers? Less than a year's worth.

    Etc....

--
    Chris F.A. Johnson                      <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>