Linux may lose its chance of competing with Microsoft after the 64bit revolution gets underway

paul sutton zleap-Tp5KeRqLOeNeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 31 21:29:37 UTC 2006

I agree with this,  why are we obsessed with the desktop, Linux is
leading in other fields, e.g on web servers,also whenI watch science
programs in general when they are chatting to a scientest (or whoever)
in somecases the desktop software being used is not Windows and looks
more like nextstep (or perhaps gnustep).  Linux is strong on the server
market,  which means users have something rock solid at least in the
back office.  We seem to think of Linux on the desktop as perhaps in an
office of say accountants, lawyers,  and other industries, whereas I
think in certain fields GNU is on the desktop, in which case we should
be helping them to make things better and perhaps then it will migrate
over to less technical industries.

paul