Re Robots Wrote This

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 31 21:50:39 UTC 2006

On 8/31/06, Gregory D Hough <mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Neat article about robots which includes the words scary, emotion,
> empathy and experience all in the same paragraph with a link to the
> "Turing Test; the side the robots can't get to."
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,71654-0.html?tw=wn_index_17
>
> In the second last line of the article there is seen:
> "./configure --with-passion=/home/abe/blood" and "make proud_japan"

Neat, but they're complete morons.  They think that the code behind
Shinzo Abe's head is some sort of "COBOL or FORTRAN" stuff, that is
obviously incongruent with him sitting at an Apple laptop.

When reality is that it's the shell commands for building and
installing some software, complete with
- svn checkout
- ./configure --with-clever-options
- make proud_japan; make check
- su
- make install
- installing a config file
- starting a daemon in /etc/init.d

Wicked clever backdrop, full of bits of (appropriately) nationalistic
options (e.g. - configure has a --with-passion option, it does "make
proud_japan").

He's unlikely to be a Unix hacker; I wonder who came up with it.  They
deserve kudos.
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.