Linux may lose its chance of competing with Microsoft after the 64bit revolution gets underway

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 31 09:34:46 UTC 2006

ted leslie wrote:
> Desktop are dead in 6 years, as far as being "where the technology is",
> or "where the buzz is". Granted, the huge amount of hand-me-downs, and
> use in poor countries will still mean there will be a lot in use, but
> that actually works very well for linux, as we see already today.

Even in developing countries, the move is to open source as a way to
pool scarce development resources. The OLPC efforts is gaining nice
momentum and it's all Linux based.

> If MS doesn't get really big, really quick in the cell phone market,
> their revenue/profit is in for a world of hurt, at best they will become
> strictly a gaming desktop top console, and have some small finger in the
> server market.

Good point. Meanwhile...

Palm, Motorola, Nokia and others are all investing heavily in Linux as a
platform:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20060815/tc_pcworld/126739
http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8921/access-linux-platform-at-linuxworld-sf/
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/top/road-s101-linux-smartphone-has-it-all-nokia-killer-195289.php