Linux may lose its chance of competing with Microsoft after the 64bit revolution gets underway

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 31 07:02:00 UTC 2006

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Kush wrote:

> This is a sobering scenario.

Hi Kush.  I didn't find it particularly concerning.  Various "last chance
to grab the desktop" dates have been predicted in the last few years by
lots of different organisations and people.

The argument that the change from 32bit to 64bit is a chance to topple the
dominant platform isn't a strong one as right now the change is going so
seemlessly that few are even noticing it.

To me the idea of any "last chance" to get the desktop is a bit silly.
40 years ago the "desktop" as we understand it today didn't even exist.
The desktop (circa 2006) will probably be found only in history books in
40 years.  Who knows what computer interfaces will be like in even 20
years, let alone 40.

To me the key is to keep working towards acceptance of open source
software and open standards.  IMHO a collapse of OSS would have very grave
implications for societal freedoms in the future.  We are so dependent on
data held within computer systems that to allow control to fall to a
select few is very dangerous.

You see I am far more concerned with how the law interprets freedoms and
knowledge and how that relates to OSS than I am to any specific
technologies like the GUI circa 2006.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073