Getting my CD burner working

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 29 14:09:42 UTC 2006

Tom Watts wrote:

> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>

>> What does it do after that?
>>
>> I also suggest avoiding the cdrecord with the broken dvd patch like the
>> plague.  It is useless, usually broken, and for burning DVD's
>> dvd+rw-tools are much much much better.
>>
>> You can also try using -dev ATA:/dev/hdc instead.  On some systems that
>> works better.
>>
>> And of course make sure there is no ide-scsi listed in 'lsmod'.
>>
>> At least it is detecting the drive and lots of details about it.
>>
>> Which kernel version are you on?
>>
>> --
>> Len Sorensen
>

> After that, nothing happens; nothing comes to the terminal, nothing
> appears to be happening in the drive, and everything else runs
> unaffected.
>
> I'm not seeing any ide-scsi module in the output of lsmod and my
> kernel version is 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5.  Can anyone recommend a package,
> source or binary, somewhere that is likely to work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Tom

You may want to try this but I don't know if it will help.
"cdrdao scanbus"

For me, it gives:
Cdrdao version 1.1.9 - (C) Andreas Mueller <andreas-gmq7i8MYz+g at public.gmane.org>
  SCSI interface library - (C) Joerg Schilling
  Paranoia DAE library - (C) Monty

Check http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/drives.html#dt for current driver
tables.

Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'

ATAPI:0,0,0          _NEC    , DVD_RW ND-3550A , 1.05

Then I use "cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 file.iso"
Does it show anything useful?