Putting it all in RAM (was: comparing CPU's)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 28 18:36:44 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 12:35:23PM -0400, ted leslie wrote:
> the problem with puttin lotsa ram in a mobo, is that they have power
> draw issues, and will only allow max. population if modules are NOT
> stacked and are single rank.
> Most moduiles are stacked (double the chips, more power draw but cheaper
> to make),
> so the MOBO (in case of tyan), will down grade the clock to 333Mhz
> if you exceed the rank value.
> The tyan that has 16 slots, can be populated to a max. of 24GB and
> retain the 400Mhz DDR speed. if you want 32 GB then its down to 333Mhz.
> I am not going to exceed 9GB until i experiment and see the benefits,
> then buy more ram as required.

9GB seems like an odd amount.  How are you distributing that?  As far as
I know, the opteron systems give best performance when each cpu has the
same amount of ram and the same amount of ram on each of the two
channels per cpu, so in you case I would think 2GB per channel per cpu
would make sense, unless you happen to have some 256MB sticks you are
trying to use too giving 2.25GB per channel per cpu.

--
Len Sorensen