Putting it all in RAM (was: comparing CPU's)

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 28 16:35:23 UTC 2006

>I was thinking of something similar (but for other reasons).  There
> are IDE devices which are volatile memory-based.  I wonder how the
> costs compare..

the new i-ram (by gigabyte) has been announced for ages, but apparently
not out yet,
TYAN has a MOBO with 16 ram slots, and 2GB modules are not to bad if
ordered
from the US, in canada they want 2-4X the $$$ for 2GB, we are just way
behind here in buying large aftermarket 2GB modules,
if you get a tyan with 16 slots, you can fit it with 32GB (16 x 2GB)
modules at 333Mhz,
i have got 2 GB acer ECC's (mail order from US) for about 370$ CND,
which isn't to bad.

The i-ram(1) was limited by PATA transfer rates i think,
i-ram(2) is sata, but it still will not be as good as if the
"OS in RAM" is in system ram, as apposed to in a i-ram device.
A sata is 1.5GBits i think, where as system ram can be many GBytes,
so perhaps still a factor of 10 in transfer between "real" ram and
i-ram (on a sata) device.

the problem with puttin lotsa ram in a mobo, is that they have power
draw issues, and will only allow max. population if modules are NOT
stacked and are single rank.
Most moduiles are stacked (double the chips, more power draw but cheaper
to make),
so the MOBO (in case of tyan), will down grade the clock to 333Mhz
if you exceed the rank value.
The tyan that has 16 slots, can be populated to a max. of 24GB and
retain the 400Mhz DDR speed. if you want 32 GB then its down to 333Mhz.
I am not going to exceed 9GB until i experiment and see the benefits,
then buy more ram as required.

Even with the new Vista requirements, it doesnt seem like many people
will have to buy 2GB modules still for at least another OS/System
generation, so the 16 slot tyan is great if you want to fit it with just
1GB modules and have 16GB of ram (at 333mhz) which still isnt to bad,
you can run a few OS (in xen/vmware) and do other things.

i think the i-ram is about 300$ cnd, when it comes out, and it has a
battery (not sure if its an option). The i-ram is more for the typical
win-tel user who wants a easy boost, they are directed to install
windows into the i-ram device.

-tl