comparing CPU's

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 28 16:01:21 UTC 2006

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 11:10:34AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Now that Intel finally has something to compare to the Opteron, I'm
> wondering how to compare them.
>
> The problem is there are far too many variables.
>
> One of the common complaints of the Opteron is that it runs too hot.
> So power consumption is one important factor.
>
> From what I can gather from various sources the latest Intel
> processor Woodcrest ? consumes considerably more current than any
> other Intel processor, so I'd guess it will run hot as well.
>
> Does anyone have a firm grasp on all of the various factors here ?
>
> I did try tomshardware.com, but a direct comparison between an
> opteron and woodcrest is not available yet.

I suspect many are waiting for the new socket F opterons, which are
supposed to reduce power consumption as well, before doing comparisons.

The new xeon does use less power than the old one, and runs faster.  It
still has the same bottleneck to deal with in multi cpu systems of
course, that the opteron doesn't have.  Of course the opteron also comes
in HE (high efficiency) versions which reduces power consumption quite a
bit.  They are often used in blade servers for that reason.

--
Len Sorensen