Putting it all in RAM (was: comparing CPU's)

Dave Cramer davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 28 15:06:28 UTC 2006

Ted's example is more desktop based. Which I agree CPU is not a big
deal, I'm really more interested in the bleeding edge of server CPU
technology.

My concerns are addressed mostly by Chris' reply, but am curious
about power consumption, and heat dissipation as well. Opterons are
well known for their alternate use as small heaters, but this is
somewhat the price to be paid for speed.

My suspicion is that as the Intel CPU's catch up in the speed arena,
they will also consume proportionally more power. Chris' reply
pointed out an oft ignored bit about memory bandwidth. Servers are
primarily all about moving bits to and from a disk, so raw CPU isn't
as important.

Dave