Wiki spam

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 28 14:25:59 UTC 2006

On 8/28/06, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Jamon Camisso wrote:
>
> > Anyone seen the talk page for the main page on gtalug.org? I'm not
> > sure the urls that have been added bear posting, but suffice to say
> > that the content on the entire talk page should meet with a swift demise.
> >
> > http://gtalug.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page

Seneca has taken care of this..  *hugs*

> At least that garbage is visible.
>
> A site I was managing not long ago had its top index page appended-to
> with a few hundred links; the author had written the HTML so that they
> would be invisible to human readers, but visible to Googlebots and
> others looking for such links.
>
> I see this as becoming an increasingly pervasive problem as CMSs, blogs
> and interactive sites become more common. It's times like this when the
> Drupal anti-spam module looks really good.

It's not a problem anymore:

Bad Behavior is a set of PHP scripts which automatically blocks
harvesters, spam bots, and other funky stuff BEFORE they can even see
the content of the site.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bad_Behavior_extension
http://www.homelandstupidity.us/software/bad-behavior/installing-and-using-bad-behavior/on-mediawiki/

My notes:
http://jrandomhacker.info/Bad_Behavior

I've been holding off on installing this for the gtalug wiki because I
didn't fully trust it.  I've had it installed for a while on my own
site, and I'm confident enough to allow open and anonymous editing.

Anyone who is serious about their wiki/blog/site should be using Bad
Behavio(u)r.

I'll take some time soon and get it installed for gtalug.. I hate
seeing people waste time, energy and emotion on spam.