comparing CPU's

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 28 03:48:57 UTC 2006

On 8/27/06, Dave Cramer <davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Now that Intel finally has something to compare to the Opteron, I'm
> wondering how to compare them.

It's not evident that Intel has done anything to address the memory
bandwidth differences, which has been where AMD-64 has been
particularly better than EM64-T...  Even if the latest Intel CPUs are
faster, if they haven't addressed the memory bus issues, they don't
likely have parity let alone superiority.

After all, the cases where enormous amounts of CPU power can get used
tend to be few and far between; it's commonly I/O and memory bandwidth
that are the bottlenecks.  And the cases where I see CPU used up are
cases where it's busy throwing data around in memory, in which case it
is memory bandwidth that's the bottleneck...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.