comparing CPU's

Dave Cramer davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 27 15:10:34 UTC 2006

Now that Intel finally has something to compare to the Opteron, I'm
wondering how to compare them.

The problem is there are far too many variables.

One of the common complaints of the Opteron is that it runs too hot.
So power consumption is one important factor.

 From what I can gather from various sources the latest Intel
processor Woodcrest ? consumes considerably more current than any
other Intel processor, so I'd guess it will run hot as well.

Does anyone have a firm grasp on all of the various factors here ?

I did try tomshardware.com, but a direct comparison between an
opteron and woodcrest is not available yet.

Dave