New to the group and a question

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 24 18:32:27 UTC 2006

--- "David R. Meyer" <david-n6TUjxoeaMtM656bX5wj8A at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I wanted to introduce myself and ask a question.  My
> name is David
> Meyer, and I am a software engineer with a major
> software manufacturer
> in the US.  I live in Tampa, FL but find myself in
> your fine city
> fairly often as of late, and will be coming up on
> Sunday for the week.
>
> I am interested to find out if visitor, especially
> us war-monger
> Americans (that was a joke) are welcome at the
> picnic on Sunday.  I
> happened to find out about it on the Linux Caffe
> site.

Your ancestory isn't an issue, your timing is. 44% of
the residents of Toronto were born outside Canada, the
only city in the world to have a higher percentage of
foreign born residents is Miami, FL (this noted by
someone who while born in Canada was born outside
Toronto).

War is what broght Bruce Becker, one of the really old
time local Unix guru's to Canada from the U.S.. Ok, so
it was the Vietnam war...

Now as for timing, the picnic runs Saturday, August
26th. Sorry about that.

> As I'm not that familiar with the park where you'll
> be, I was also
> hoping for some local intel on parking, etc.  You
> can email me off-list
> if you want...no need to burn bandwidth.

While I am sure Linuxcaffe would be delighted to see
you, I am not the one to answer questions about
parking (normally being one to use the subway). I can
tell you that the park and Linuxcaffe are a short walk
from the Cristie subway station.

While you may be missing out on Linux in the Park, you
may want to look in on say the Asterisk user group who
have their next monthly meeting next Wednesday:

  http://www.taug.ca/

Short walk from the North York Centre subway station.

Colin McGregor