Headless VNC server

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 24 01:41:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 19:36 -0400,
alain.maisonneuve_lists-QX23z+6opsUOxlH4FaG5hA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Thanks for you help.. but..
>
> I tried this and now i am getting Xauth error
>
> xauth:  /tmp/xauth.XXXXpTwRvB not writable, changes will be ignored
> xauth:  error in locking authority file /tmp/xauth.XXXXpTwRvB
>
> New 'X' desktop is ghost:2
>
> Starting applications specified in /etc/X11/Xsession
> Log file is /home/alainm/.vnc/ghost:2.log
>
> and also the KDM doesn't start up properly
>
> any thoughts?

My first thought is that the perms on /tmp are wrong.

Run 'ls -l /tmp' and check the perms. The should look like:

drwxrwxrwt

If it isn't run this:

chmod 1777 /tmp

Then you need to check /home/alainm/.vnc/xstartup. Make sure that this
line is there:

startkde

If there is a twm line, you should comment it out.