Headless VNC server

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 23 15:01:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 11:43:12PM -0400, alain.maisonneuve_lists-QX23z+6opsUOxlH4FaG5hA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I am setting up a Myth Box and i would like to setup VNC. I want to be able to
> VNC over and use KDE.
>
> My question is how do i get it (vnc4server) to start up at boot time. I want it
> to use the .vnc from a specific home directory (/home/alainm).
>
> if VNC is not the best approach, i am open to suggestions.
>
> BTW, i am using kUbuntu 5.10 Breeze.
>
> If have tries FreeNX, but can find a window/mac client. looking for version 1.5.
> all i can find is 2.0.

You can usually configure xdm/gdm/kdm/wdm to launch specific X servers
at startup, and manage logins on them.  By default they are usually
configured to launch a normal X server on the machine, but you could
configure it to launch a vnc server instead.

The other option is to launch the vnc server from inittab, so that if it
is killed, it starts another one automatically.  Might be the simplest
way if you don't want a login, but rather would have it just logged in
all the time.

--
Len Sorensen