Headless VNC server

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 23 12:01:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 23:43 -0400,
alain.maisonneuve_lists-QX23z+6opsUOxlH4FaG5hA at public.gmane.org wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am setting up a Myth Box and i would like to setup VNC. I want to be able to
> VNC over and use KDE.
>
> My question is how do i get it (vnc4server) to start up at boot time. I want it
> to use the .vnc from a specific home directory (/home/alainm).
>
> if VNC is not the best approach, i am open to suggestions.
>
> BTW, i am using kUbuntu 5.10 Breeze.
>
> If have tries FreeNX, but can find a window/mac client. looking for version 1.5.
> all i can find is 2.0.

I'm not versed in Kubuntu, but there will be rc scripts in /etc/rc.d
or /etc/init.d. There may be an rc.local in there somewhere. You'll need
to add a line to run the vnc server with the args you want. You also
want to su to the user to run the command:

su -c "vncserver :1 --geometry 1024x768 --depth 16" alainm

--
John Van Ostrand
         Net Direct Inc.

Chief Technology Officer