Brawling with BitTorrent

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 22 08:04:21 UTC 2006

Gregory D Hough wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is anyone familiar with BitTorrent? I have a problem with it. I don't
> use it myself for anything cause I ain't a TV junkie or hyper-music
> enthusiast and I buy my distros attached to Linux magazines. I am just
> fed up with a persistant month-long "Afterglow?" I don't know if it is
> actually afterglow or if it is an MPAA/RIAA Torrent spy, but I want it
> to Go Away!
>
> These UDP's are hitting my IP every twenty minutes and some seconds. So
> before I start throwing some brutal packets at the offending IP, I'd
> like to know what is the proper way to make it stop.

Take a look at moblock:
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/moblock/

"MoBlock is a linux console application that blocks connections from/to
hosts listed in a file in peerguardian format (guarding.p2p and p2p.p2b)
or ipfilter.dat files. It uses iptables libnetfilter_queue userspace
library and NFQUEUE kernel module."

There is also a version of peerguardian (one of the better blockers for
windows) that runs from the commandline in linux:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=131687

Then you want a comprehensive blocklist:
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/level1.gz or
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/pipexdsl/s/ashu56/bluetack/level1.gz

What does whois tell you about the offending IP? Also, whichever client
you use, turn off UDP, it's usually of little to no use, especially on a
distro download.

Jamon