psc but no scan app?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 22 02:10:00 UTC 2006

Chris Aitken wrote:

> [chris at p733 chris]$ sane-find-scanner

[...]

> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x4811) at libusb:001:002
>  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
> supported by
>  # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

The good news is that sane can see the hardware but isn't sure what
driver to use.

The other good news is that HP says that scanning is supported on this
model according to
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/inkjet_aio.html

The FAQ at http://hplip.sourceforge.net/faqs.html states that
"HPLIP should support all SANE front-end applications. We have tested
scanning with xsane, xscanimage, and kooka."

So what this means is that you need hplip installed (which you probably
need, to support printing from the device anyway). That will provide the
"hpaio" driver needed by SANE.

Make sure the line "hpaio" appears in /etc/sane/dll.conf and is not
commented out.

There's a troubleshooting page at
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/troubleshooting/scanning.html that may
provide some help.

- Evan

PS: A very slick-looking diagram of the HP/Sane acrhitecture can be found at
http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/doc/arch/scanning.png