downtown core free wifi

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 22 00:50:56 UTC 2006

>> I've been wondering as well.  Also, any ideas on the
>> range?  I'm out
>> in the Brampton / Mississauga area...  Any chance
>> it'll extend this
>> far?
>
> This is a Toronto Hydro project and they plan to set
> up repeaters to cover all of Toronto over the next few
> years, but only Toronto (starting with the downtown
> core). Since they are using 802.11g you are talking
> 300 feet (100 metres) plus or minus. I mean just to
> prove it COULD be done I was reading about a bunch of
> guy who set up a 125 MILE (201 Km) 802.11b connection
> across the desert in Nevada, without amplification,
> but with 12 foot (3.7 metre) antennas. So, how close
> are are you to the Toronto boundry is the first
> question, the second question being how wierd (and/or
> big) are you willing to get with your antenna?
>
> Blunt truth, unless you want to get very wierd you are
> going to have to talk to the powers that be in
> Brampton and/or Mississauga.
>
> Colin McGregor
>
>> I also spend a lot of time in Hamilton.  I read in
>> the Spectator
>> earlier this year that the City of Hamilton was also
>> thinking about
>> setting up city-wide wireless.

There are web sites that describe in great detail how to build a suitable
antenna, and the sort of gain that you can get. My favourite: a parabolic
dish using a won-ton strainer. Doubtless such a unit could be found on
Spadina Avenue near Dundas...

One thing to keep in mind is that these antennas (antennae) get their gain
by being very directional. So the antenna has to be aimed *very* carefully
at the source *and* it has to stay put during things like a Canadian
blizzard. Also, a rainstorm in the path can kill reception.

So it would be a fun thing to do, but I wouldn't want to count on the
reliability.

Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto