Probably the biggest thing to ever happen to Linux

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 21 21:15:55 UTC 2006

Tom Watts wrote:

> ted leslie wrote:
>> as quoted in the article
>>
>> "We have for the first time a real alternative to the Windows desktop.
>> Linux and open source are there,"
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39281014,00.htm
>>
>> i almost don't believe it,
>> i wonder if it only going to be wmv8 and not 9 or something stupid like
>> that,
>> or maybe MS will then standardize on wmv10 ?
>>
>> now games are the only thing left that Linux users can't get (for the
>> most part).
>>
>> at least i will finally get to play wmv's on a 64 bit arch. and not have
>> to dick around with 32bit apps and 32bit dll's
>>
>> -tl
>>

> Wow and this from the company that made my most hated media player, at
> least under Windows that is.  I've never really like HelixPlayer either,
> but this could completely change my view on them and maybe my default
> movie player especially if it comes with a browser plugin that is 100%
> functional and stable.

VLC can be compiled with wmv9 support:
http://nanocrew.net/2005/09/01/compiling-vlc/

Also, I've heard that the latest ffmpeg cvs/svn/whatever they use..., as
part of Google's SOC, has support for wmv9. Take a look here:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.xine.devel/15683/focus=15683

That said, perhaps it is worth at least downloading (if it is
avialable?) helix/realplayer just to show support for their involvement.
Don't have to use it though :)

Jamon