Audio In Kubuntu

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 21 20:41:34 UTC 2006

Scott Elcomb wrote:

> Never actually used Kaffeine...  Any chance it's a Codec issue?

Kaffeine is just a nice KDE front for the xine engine. If it won't play
under xine, it won't play under Kaffeine.

I have certainly not spent a lot of time playing with this, however I
have noted a few things in using this stuff (YMMV):

- Both Kaffeine and Amarok (the KDE audio player) are by default
persistent; they'll stay in the system bar even when closed, until
explicitly quit. If Amarok is in the system tray it will 'claim' the
audio output, so Kaffeine will show video but no sound. Quitting Amarok
fixes this problem, though Kaffeine may need to be restarted to get it
to 'reclaim' the audio out.

- I have encountered some files for which Linux can match the video
codec but not the audio, resulting in a silent movie. They're not that
frequent, but they do happen; personally I've found this most common in
Quicktime format (.mov) files.

- Evan