usb to ttyS0 mapping issues -and wvdial configuration

Kihara Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 21 16:19:52 UTC 2006

 Hi all,
 I am tryiing to set up an Acer (Aspire 3610 model) laptop for dial up. The
laptop don't have one of the most handy interface namely serial port. To
connect to a serial port, one has to use a usb to serial cable and I find
that very un-ideal. (Why the heck leave out a serial port and then turn
around and start selling usb to serial cables?). Beside financial
implication, I can't now figure out how to map ppp connection on. The first
4 ttyS* port looks like this to setserial
linux:/home/William # setserial -a /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test

What I don't like is the lack of UART. What is the implication of above?
I thought of mapping it to the USB device, but that even look worse to
setserial
linux:/home/wambugu # setserial -a /dev/usbdev2.1
Cannot get serial info: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Okay, one last shot I gave it one more shot
linux:/home/William # wvdialconf  /home/William/Desktop/wvdial1.txt
Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

Port Scan<*1>: S0   S1   S2   S3

Sorry, no modem was detected!  Is it in use by another program?
Did you configure it properly with setserial?

>From the above queries, I decided to map modem to /dev/ttyS0. I also gave
/dev/ttyS1 a shot with no success
 Now I hope that is enough information about the laptop. I believe some
information about where the serial cable terminate would be important. It
connects to a Huawei ETS2577 handset. The handset connect to the ISP through
Qualcomm 3G CDMA wireless technology. I am also really hoping that UART will
be inside this phone set, but I aren't sure of that.I believe this is
sufficient information, but would happly suppiy more information is needed.
 Now, how can I make this setup work? I have been using wvdial and below is
its configuration
[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyS0
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
Init3 =
Area Code =
Phone = 777
Username = some_name
Password = some_password
Ask Password = 0
Dial Command = ATDT
Stupid Mode = 1
Compuserve = 0
Force Address =
Idle Seconds = 300
DialMessage1 =
DialMessage2 =
ISDN = 0
Auto DNS = 1
 Now, is there anything that I could have done wrong?.And does wvdial use
/etc/ppp/chap-secrets file? What is the sure way of knowing that you are
mapping an application to the right /dev? The link between the handset and
ISP is fne for sure since I can make phone calls from the handset, so the
issue has to be wvdial configuration and the ttyS0 interface. Oh, and my ISP
is hostile to Linux, so I don't expect much help from them.

Thanks a lot in advance
William