Linux on an AMD64 box...

Brandon Sandrowicz brandon-77Z/iqU1yLlrovVCs/uTlw at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 21 15:23:16 UTC 2006

It just depends on what you are running. If mplayer doesn't link against any
external libraries, then it's portable between 32-bit and 64-bit installs. The
real problem with running 64bit/32bit side-by-side is the libraries that apps
depend on. Debian doesn't have a standard location like 'lib64' or 'lib32' to
separate the 64-bit and 32-bit compiled libraries. 32-bit Firefox can't use
64-bit GTK+ libraries, for example. This is where the chroot comes in. With
the chroot, you can have the 32bit libraries installed in the default
locations ( which would overwrite the 64bit libraries otherwise) and the 32bit
programs look for them there. So you just have your 32-bit chroot pointed to a
32-bit repository and it should install all the 32-bit libraries into the
appropriate locations in the chroot.

IIRC, other distros just have a 'lib64' for 64-bit libraries or a 'lib32' for
the 32-bit libraries and all of their packages are compiled with this in mind
for linking.

- Brandon Sandrowicz