Acer Aspire 3620

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 19 18:17:18 UTC 2006

   I just bought one.  It came with something called Linpus Linux, which provided nothing more than a root command line, but at least I think I avoided the Microsoft tax.  My real plan had been to buy a reconditioned laptop, but this new one was irresistable.

   Fedora Core 5 seems to work very well.  The distribution supports the video and the battery.  Fedora Core 3 didn't.

   The computer comes with a 56K win/linmodem. I went to www.linuxant.com, I downloaded the driver for my distribution, processor and Kernel.  I installed it and used wvdialconf and minicom and locate and test the modem.  I logged out and shut the computer down. So far, so good.

   When I turned it back on, it started to boot, it reached the part about udev, then everything went screwy.  Usually, the final line displayed on the screen was...

   "Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 61642072"

   It was always the same virtual address.

   I was able to boot using the Fedora CD and search the hard drive.  I was able to reinstall everything, and it is working fine now.  I haven't the nerve to try installing the modem software again.

   The Linuxant site indicates that there ae problems with Kernal versions, and that I might have to compile one.  Is anyone familiar with Linuxant's software for Conexant chips, Fedora, and Celeron processors?

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org