Linux on an AMD64 box...

Robin Humble rjh-tkNKonCg4laeFQavDyXPBQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 20 19:42:57 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 04:11:24AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>I run 64-bit Fedora.  It can run 64-bit and 32-bit programs: both sets
>of shared libraries are installed.  Even this isn't as clean as you'd
>like, at least for firefox.  When you install Firefox, you get the
>64-bit version.  It is tough to replace it with a 32-bit version
>because several things depend on it (at least in my system -- things
>like Eclipse).  I've installed both, but the startup of Firefox

we use 64bit distro + 32bit firefox on fc5. (haven't tried eclipse)

on x86_64 we do this daily or weekly:
  yum upgrade
  yum --enablerepo='core 32bit' --enablerepo='updates 32bit' upgrade

where the 32bit yum repo files are in /etc/yum.repos.d/ but are
disabled by default. the above auto-updates the full x86_64 distro, and
then the 32bit firefox. works well.

cheers,
robin