Recomendation for dedicated server

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 18 19:24:41 UTC 2006

On Friday 18 August 2006 14:52, E K wrote:

> I thought of going with Carinet and tried to call the
> Sales and tech support number 1.888.221.5902. All I
> got was the recorded message "We're sorry your call
> can not be completed as dialed.....". Well, that is
> pretty much the end of it.

Looks like the toll-free is US only. I called 1.858.974.5080 and did get
through immediately to both sales and tech support (5-10 seconds hold at
most).

The sales guy was very helpful, I asked him about rescue system/serial console
and he was able to tell me that there was none (and was very knowledgeable
regarding the underlying technology).  If you order larger numbers of servers
(server clusters) then remote KVM might be available.

I'd be very concerned about having a remote server without rescue/console
capability.  Also, although the (base) price is right I object to some of the
pricing structure - I would want at least software RAID, they charge you
$15/month for the extra disk and $20/month for software RAID1, give me a
break!

I do want to set up a second server soon but don't really want it to be with
1&1 (just for redundancy reasons) so I guess I'll keep looking.