Exim4, Debian and Rogers...

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 18 00:50:17 UTC 2006

It's been a _long_ time since I switched from Exim to Postfix, but I
suspect that the choice of MTA has little to do with the problem at hand.

Rogers definitely blocks port 25, the usual one for SMTP. Its network
will refuse to complete "normal" email connections; sometimes silently,
sometimes with an error. For your incoming mail they expect you to fetch
it with POP or IMAP, and for outgoing you need to use some port besides
25 for your SMTP. I specify port 465 for outgoing SMTP connections (I
seem to recall a support call in which they recommended that port) and
it works fine. Rogers may even be mapping 465 to 25 internally for all I
know.

I think if you set your outgoing mail on Exim to port 465 you may have
some luck. If not, I'm not sure I can help further.
You may want to manually diagnose the SMTP connections using telnet.

In any case, I don't think Exim or Debian is to blame. This problem also
happens with Thunderbird clients on any OS.

- Evan