CDs play in W98 but not FC2

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 16 13:11:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 05:22:34PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> I can't play CDs from fedora core 2. The CD drive sound cable is hooked
> up to the SoundBlaster Live! card (AlsaMixer reports it as "Sound
> Blaster Live! eMicro 28028") because I can play CDs when I boot to W98SE
> (it's a dual-boot set up). All other sound is fine in FC2 - I play
> .ogg's, and record/playback with Audacity. Occaisionally, I like ot just
> popoa CD in the drive and play it (as it is now I have to rip songs off
> the CDs just to play 'em). That slows things down when I have a guitar
> student and we want to listen to a song right away.
>
> There is an onboard soundcard as well. I don't use it though as the SBL!
> is a better card (which I got to use with Audacity). Of course the CD
> drive cannot be sending audio to the wrong card (since we know the cable
> goes to the SBL! card since it works in W98SE). However, I did try
> hooking the speakers up to the wrong card just to hear - of course
> nothing comes out that way either...
>
> Any ideas for me to chase?

By default win98 uses digital audio extraction to play CDs, so it
doesn't even use the audio cable from the cdrom.  Linux tends to play
CDs the way they were meant to be played using the audio cable.

If it doesn't work, then most likely you have the cd input muted in the
mixer for your sound card, or potentially your user doesn't even have
permission to access the cdrom drive to give it commands to play (on
debian a user has to be in the cdrom group to play a cd, just as they
have to be in the audio group to play sound and access the mixer).

So check your mixer settings and make sure the volume is turned up on
the cd input.

--
Len Sorensen