Accessing serial-usb ports: Partially Solved

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 15 21:27:02 UTC 2006

> On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 09:55:24AM -0400, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote
>
>> Now the question is this: if you have a file by some name that sets the
>> permissions on certain devices in the same manner as 50-udev.permissions
>> does under Suse, and this file does not mention the ttyUSB ports, can
>> you
>> simply add a suitable entry, such as
>>          ttyUSB*:root:uucp:666
>> We'll try that under Ubuntu and see if it works.
>
>   /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules seems to be the place for local mods
> to be made.
>
> --
> Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
> My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca

Sorry, Walter, that can't be it. That file doesn't exist on this Suse 9.1
box. Everyone seems to have done something different in this little corner
of the operating system. A file called '50-udev.rules' does exist, but
it's far from obvious how to write this particular rule.

In one of the udev-howto's, the author warns the reader that they'll need
to learn Backus-Naur-Form and that the syntax of the rules must be
*exactly* right. Somewhere else, a writer shows a rule saying 'I have no
idea why this doesn't work'.

I used to know BNF reasonably well, but surely that shouldn't be necessary
to change the permission on one particular class of ports. Grrr.

P.

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto