Accessing serial-usb ports: Solved

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 15 13:55:24 UTC 2006

> Walter Dnes wrote:

>   Glad to be able to help.  I don't have that file.  Are you running
> PAM?  I'm not.  I know that /etc/udev/50-udev.rules gets replaced every
> so often when running upgrades on Gentoo.  I don't claim to know what
> happens with the 50-udev.permissions file.

It's looking as if 50-udev.permissions exists under Suse and RedHat. It
doesn't exist under Ubuntu, though there may be another file with an
equivalent name.

I'm not surprised that it's vulnerable to an upgrade. In fact, RedHat
recommend that you not modify this file, but they don't provide enough
information for an alternative. And the rules for udev are dauntingly
complex.

Now the question is this: if you have a file by some name that sets the
permissions on certain devices in the same manner as 50-udev.permissions
does under Suse, and this file does not mention the ttyUSB ports, can you
simply add a suitable entry, such as
         ttyUSB*:root:uucp:666
We'll try that under Ubuntu and see if it works.

P.

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto