Linux on an AMD64 box...

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 15 13:16:42 UTC 2006

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> Debian does not yet support "multiarch".  Hence Debian 64-bit users,
> if they need to run 32-bit programs, do so in a chroot environment.  I
> would *guess* that this is an effort to set up.

It isn't too bad.  debootstrap to install minimal Linux system in a
directory, chroot into it and install firefox/etc and finally bind mount
your required partitions within the chroot.

As a regular user you can then run 32bit firefox using dchroot:

   dchroot firefox

There's a good howto kicking around out there but my brief search didn't
find it.