Linux on an AMD64 box...

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 15 08:11:24 UTC 2006

| From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>

| On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 10:40:21AM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote
|
| > So, is Flash on a 64bit machine possible?  If so, how?
|
|   Have you considered simply pretending that it's a 32-bit machine, and
| running in 32-bit mode?  Right now, there's no "64-bit-only killer-app".

This is the most pragmatic solution.  I'm not always pragmatic.

I run 64-bit Fedora.  It can run 64-bit and 32-bit programs: both sets
of shared libraries are installed.  Even this isn't as clean as you'd
like, at least for firefox.  When you install Firefox, you get the
64-bit version.  It is tough to replace it with a 32-bit version
because several things depend on it (at least in my system -- things
like Eclipse).  I've installed both, but the startup of Firefox
detects if you have one already running and uses it instead of a new
one.  So you cannot trivially have both running at once.  And I always
seem to have one running already.

Debian does not yet support "multiarch".  Hence Debian 64-bit users,
if they need to run 32-bit programs, do so in a chroot environment.  I
would *guess* that this is an effort to set up.