Linux on an AMD64 box...

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 14 15:06:20 UTC 2006

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>>I am terribly pleased, but I want it to go well, so I thought I'd ask
>>here for any gotchas on running Linux on the AMD64 architecture.  I've
>>heard a few things, like Firefox having to run in 32-bit mode (or is
>>that just Flash?  I don't remember) but I don't know how you'd set
>>something like this up.
>>

>Just flash, and any other non-free plugins that only come in 32bit.
>There are people working on getting 32bit plugins to work in 64bit
>browsers but I am not sure if they are done yet.

One thing you may miss, along with a Flash player, are some of the
Windows Media Player codecs.

Almost anything with a .wmv extension won't play under AMD64, and I
don't think there's a fix for that coming any time soon.

>>I plan to use Debian, because that's what I use and I know it best, and
>>so I'd love to hear any advice about getting that set up so she
>>experiences minimal disruption - the whole point of running Linux for
>>her is that it's easier, more flexible and more secure, so if it's a big
>>hassle she'll go back to what she knows.

If that's the case I'd suggest Ubuntu rather than 'pure' Debian. You get
the inner guts that you know and love, and she gets a better new-user
experience. Xandros will work this way too.

- Evan