Any decent computer book stores in GTA?

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 14 00:18:15 UTC 2006

On 8/13/06, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> --- Kush <be_a_sport-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I think we should have some sort of library for the
> > TLUG people on the
> > lines of bookcrossing.com or a book bank or we
> > should have a section on
> > the TLUG website which lists where all one can see
> > the latest technical
> > books (e.g. university department libraries or
> > college libraries or govt
> > libraries or company libraries), their timings,
> > membership details, some
> > sort of rating etc etc
>
> David over at Linuxcaffe kind-of sort-off does this.
> I've kind-off sort-of help with that by dropping off
> some technical magazines that I had more more use of
> over at Linuxcaffe. Other people I gather have done
> similar, and I gather David has received goodies from
> at least one book publisher. Might want to talk to
> David about expanding what he is doing now...

It's true, I have a sprawling pile of reference, most of which is out
of date and/or in the basement. APress dropped a sweet load of curent
titles for review.

What I would like to do (or better yet, encourage somebody else to do) is
a) catalog the books, using a barcode scanner and amazon lookup.
b) make the catalog readable via "shopping cart" on our website
(linuxcaffe.ca /books?)
c) get my customer/membership database working and
d) allow members to borrow the books.
e) continue to collect good reference and weed out the cruft.

whew !

sounds like a nice winter project !

we have over 60 back issues of Linux Journal and scads of other mags,
available fer perusin.

thanks to all who dropped off the goods,
djp

djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
www.linuxcaffe.ca
326 Harbord Street, Toronto, M6G 3A5, (416) 534-2116