open source pdf writer

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 11 17:02:29 UTC 2006

Kush wrote:

> Does anybody know of any pdf writer which can edit pdf files like
> adobe distiller does?
>
> I have seen many pdf readers --xpdf, kpdf, evince, adobe reader etc
> and have come across the pdfcreator.sourceforge.net  for simple pdf
> creation using the ghostscript  system (ps2pdf) but haven't come
> across a  full blooded pdf editor yet.

I'm surprised that nobody yet has mentioned OpenOffice.org.

One of the main features that distinguishes OOo from the Microsoft suite
is its seamless PDF creation capability. (In fact, MS is having problems
incorporating PDF features -- even as a free download -- because Adobe
wants a piece of it.)

Having said that, the PDF capability is export-only -- while you can
create a very elaborate PDF document using OOo, it can't read an
existing PDF doc for editing.

Searching "PDF" at Freshmeat offers some possibilities, including
- "PoDoFo": http://podofo.sourceforge.net/
- pdfsam: http://pdfsam.sourceforge.net/
- Multivalent Document Tools: http://multivalent.sourceforge.net/Tools/

Of course, there are the tools included with the "Xpdf" package that
comes with most Linux distributions, it includes tools that can write
PDFs as PostScript or PBM bitmaps, or extracts text and images from PDF
docs.

And lastly, PDFTOHTML, the purpose of which I hope is self-evident:
http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps.

- Evan