open source pdf writer

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 11 13:20:58 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 09:04:29AM -0400, Kush wrote:
> Does anybody know of any pdf writer which can edit pdf files like adobe
> distiller does?
>
> I have seen many pdf readers --xpdf, kpdf, evince, adobe reader etc  and
> have come across the pdfcreator.sourceforge.net  for simple pdf creation
> using the ghostscript  system (ps2pdf) but haven't come across a  full
> blooded pdf editor yet.

PDF, like postscript and iso9660, is designed to be readable fairly
efficiently, and is designed to be possible to create all at once.  They
are NOT designed to be edited, short of reading it all and writing it
all back from scratch.

Adobe's distiller is a very complex program, and I would not expect any
competition to it anytime soon.  Most people are quite happy as long as
they can read, print, and create PDFs.  Editing means go back and edit
the original source document and regenerate the PDF from that.  It was
never meant to be editable.

--
Len Sorensen