USB Audio

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 9 23:10:38 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 17:21, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 04:26:39PM -0400, Merv Curley wrote:
> > I posted this subject yesterday from another computer but it hasn't shown
> > up yet.  So again -
> >
> > I have a little audio device to bring audio from my Amplifier to the
> > computer. When I plug it in, the kernel immediately recognises it but
> > doesn't give me a hint as to a device name or ???
> >
> > My next question from some multimedia type, is what can I use to take
> > this raw audio and convert it to .wav or other format files.  I first
> > thought of sox, but I don't see any hint that it handles USB, I get the
> > impression it only works with soundcards.
> >
> > Help or advice or pointers or ??
>
> It most likely shows up as an alsa device assuming it is a usb audio
> adapter, which it probably is.
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards

It reports

 1 [Audio          ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio
                      USB Audio at usb-0000:00:0f.2-1, full speed

and I now know the driver is  snd-usb-audio

> Maybe something in there makes sense.  If so, arecord can record from
> it, to wav if you want at whatever sample rate you want.
>
> --
Ain't google great,  told me in 2 sec's that arecord was a part of ALSA. I had
no idea,  and since it isn't in a Debian repository I was thinking it was
going to be something hard to find.  No to go read something about using it.

Thanks again.

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can