USB Audio

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 9 20:51:04 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 16:42, Kush wrote:
> Merv Curley wrote:
> > I posted this subject yesterday from another computer but it hasn't shown
> > up yet.  So again -
> >
> > I have a little audio device to bring audio from my Amplifier to the
> > computer. When I plug it in, the kernel immediately recognises it but
> > doesn't give me a hint as to a device name or ???
>
> If you are using ubuntu, maybe you could see it in the "system monitor"
> tool( under processes)

I can boot into Ubuntu,  I wonder if there is a KDE equivalent, h-m-m-m.

> My next question from some multimedia type, is what can I use to take
> this raw
>
> > audio and convert it to .wav or other format files.  I first thought of
> > sox, but I don't see any hint that it handles USB, I get the impression
> > it only works with soundcards.
>
> I have used audacity to convert the raw output from a music system which
> was input into the sound card. Maybe you could try audacity.sourceforge.net

Well the audio by default doesn't go to a soundcard.  That cuts down on cheap
audio circuits getting into the act.  The Windows software works well but my
FAT partition is really too small to be useful, and I would be happy just to
do the same work in Linux.  I'll look at Audacity and see what it can do.

Of course it would be nice to remove some of the pops and clicks that are now
built into my LP's and 'gramofile' hasn't impressed on the tests I have done.

> > Help or advice or pointers or ??
> >
> > Thanks

Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can