Booby trap when setting up another router

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 9 03:54:19 UTC 2006

On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 01:53:37AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote
>   Don't know why, but after a week of vacation, my ADSL modem/router has
> come back refreshed and full of zip... sort of like me after a week off.

>   One of the first things I did was to go to the setup screens and take
> screen captures of the parameters.

    Now it's dead again, but at least I copied the settings for future
use... newsflash... the Post Office left a note that the package had
arrived.  I was able to pick it up at the Pharma-Save in the local
shopping Mall and it's now up and running.  It should've been a 10 minute
operation, but took half an hour.  The task looked simple enough...
change the default LAN settings of the refurbished Netgear to match the
dead GVC.  I had several anxious minutes trying to get through to the
router on 192.168.0.1 network 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 so I
could switch it to 192.168.123.254 network 192.168.123.248 netmask
255.255.255.248.

   I eventually remembered that I had set up my iptables rules to only
allow network 192.168.123.248 netmask 255.255.255.248...  dohhh.  I shut
down iptables and immediately logged on to the router.  A few minutes
later, it was up and running on the new settings, with iptables enabled
again.  Now I'm listening to a 64 kbit oldies station on Live365 whilst
surfing and emailing... life is good again.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca