OT: 2.5" hdd data recovery

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 7 02:10:43 UTC 2006

> I've a friend who's Hitachi Travelstar has packed it in after 4 years of
> service. Of course he doesn't have a backup. The drive is unrecognized
> in both my external USB enclosure and in another laptop, leading me to
> believe that something is wrong with the power connection, and/or the
> internals themselves.

If the drive is not being recognized, that might indicate as you say that
the power supply or electronic circuit has failed. If that's the case, you
could find an identical drive and change the electronics board. (I opened
up one failed drive to find a large black hole in one of the IC's. This
suggested that the electronics was fried.)

This might be a suitable course of action if (a) you're desperate (b) you
have very little money (c) you can find the same drive at a reasonable
price (d) you have excellent eyesight and (e) you have the necessary
desoldering tools and expertise.

When I'm put in this situation I insist that my friend ply me with food,
drink and interesting stories while I attempt the electronic surgery.

Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto