Dual core Intel... how hot?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 6 02:48:20 UTC 2006

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 02:48:14PM -0400, William Park wrote:

| > Thanks Lennart.  Is Core 2 Duo cooler than current AMD 64?
|
| Depends on the model of Athlon 64.

Thanks for all those figures.  I am guessing that they are the
"thermal design power" ("TDP") figures for each chip.

One problem with TDP is that AMD and Intel specify them differently.
In particular, AMD's TDP is the most power that a chip can use when
the "inputs" are within spec.  Intel's TDP is a nice
high-but-not-worst-case number; they demand you throttle when the
temperature gets too high.  So Intel's numbers appear lower.

This article is quite  interesting:
I found this from
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_Design_Power

BTW, speed throttling might not be the most rational approach.  Given
a fixed amount of computation to perform, full-speed processing
followed by sleep-when-done may be more energy-efficient than
throttled-speed processing followed by less sleep.  If sleep can be
entered and exited quickly enough, this may be generalized to
interactive computational loads.

| 62W for 90nm Athlon 64 (new revision with virtualization support)

I didn't realize that this was out already.