why I fear open source can't win the war

Kush be_a_sport-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 5 23:38:49 UTC 2006

Though IBM and others seem to back linux, yet when one goes to buy
branded laptops, even IBM is selling windows xp preinstalled. Not to
mention sony, hp, dell etc and the others.

I went with a friend to a computer shop to look at some of the laptops
and the sales assistants were not ready to uninstall XP from the IBM
machines and take off its cost from the sales price.

Why are these companies paying only lip service to backing linux and
what can be done? Is the problem unique to Canada or is it prevalent in
the US also where I believe there is much more competition and consumer
choice?

Kush