why I fear open source can't win the war

bob ican-rZHaEmXdJNJWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 5 11:11:06 UTC 2006

My inlaws purchased a new computer which came with XP preinstalled.  The shop
also configured the Sympatico dialup Internet and Outlook email.   The whole
system worked for a week or so.

Being the security conscious son-in-law,  I took it upon myself suggest a safe
computing strategy:  OFT (OO, Firefox, Thunderbird).  Armed with my copy of
The Open CD,  I was invited to install OFT (OO, Firefox, Thunderbird) on
their box.

That is when everything stopped working.

The first problem was a "known" or at least an anticipated one.  Sympatico was
in the process of "upgrading" all their customers to their new "hm" (Hot
Mail) oursourced servers.  From my previous experience with OFT on my
mother's computer, my brother's computer and local forums on the Net I knew
that Thunderbird (and possibly Norton) + Sympatico hm simply do not work.
(My mother had to switch providers,  my brother went back to Outlook).

The solution was to switch to the local Cambridge ISP: Sentex ... which was
known to work with Thunderbird.

Of course when my inlaws call Sentex tech support to get the new dialup setup
they give them the standard line "we only support Outlook email".   Nonsense
I say,  Thunderbird will work.   After a quick visit,  sure enough
Thunderbird is indeed sending and receiving email.

However,  now the dialup is cutting out after a few minutes online with
Firefox.  Sentex tech support cannot pin the problem to anything in their
logs.

In frustration my in-laws go back to the computer shop and have everything
reinstalled.

Now Sentex dials correctly,  Outlook email works,  no timeouts on IE.
However,  needless to say my "credibility" on the  subject of safe computing
is significantly diminished. (Memo to self:  don't volunteer to sys admin for
family).   That is until my in-laws encounter their first major worm,  virus
and/or spyware infection ...

This tale bothers me on a number of fronts.

a) that a major national provider can hook up with a convicted monopolist to
"ensure" that standard email software doesn't function

b) that some obscure "bug" may exist in the combination of OO, Firefox,
Thunderbird,  The Open CD,  Windows XP home,  Norton that renders dialup
"useless" ... and more importantly that the effort to sort this out will mean
that it likely will remain a bug

c) that problems like a) and b) are what will ultimately prevent open source
software from ever reaching the mainstream home user

bob