[OT] Finally some payback for Online Scammers

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 4 17:51:06 UTC 2006

--- Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I found this to really fun read.  =)
>
> Baiters Teach Scammers A Lesson
>
> "They pilfer nearly $200 million from Americans
> annually and drive
> some of their victims to suicide, but Nigeria's
> notorious e-mail scam
> artists may finally have met their match -- and the
> results can be
> hilarious.
>
> British online vigilante "Shiver Metimbers" is
> leading tens of
> thousands of "scambaiters" in a crusade to shut down
> advance-fee
> fraudsters, grifters who spam unwitting victims with
> elaborate,
> e-mailed sob stories promising a share of
> nonexistent fortunes in
> return for upfront payments.
>
> So-called 419 scams, named after the section of
> Nigeria's criminal
> code that covers the conduct, are the most common
> type of con; victims
> are sometimes left penniless.
>
> But Metimbers and crew turn the tables on scammers
> one by one,
> boomeranging the tricksters' own tactics to entice
> them into
> performing outlandish tasks in desperate pursuit of
> cash -- then
> trumpeting evidence of the con artists' naïveté for
> the online world's
> amusement."
>
> Full Story at:

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/internet/0,71387-0.html

I am not sure I would have the nerve to try that sort
of thing against a scammer, but I do love reading
about such events... Also here is a story about one
guy who scammed an auction scammer out of a few $$ :

http://easynetworknyc.com/powerbook/

Colin McGregor