Linux-friendly PCI dialup modem?

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 4 15:50:43 UTC 2006

--- Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 08:50:35PM -0400, James
> Knott wrote:
> > p.s I bought that modem from Canada Remote Systems
> (anyone remember
> > them?), for a few hundred $.
>
> I downloaded SLS 1.03 from there back in 93.  Took
> forever at 2400.
>
> I remember they used to have piles of couriers
> before switching to
> digital lines with USR Total Control Hubs.

If memory serves (and it has been a few years), CRS
was a Hayes shop. As for Internet Direct (who I used
to work for), they had hundreds of USR Sportster
external modems before going to the Total Control Hubs
(which caused me a great deal of grief. We knew we had
air conditioning problems in the office that housed
the Total Control Hubs, what it took us a while to
understand was just how heat sensitive those units
were... Also explains why I now hate Vivali's "The
Four Seasons" (a basically innocuous bit of classical
music) which USR used to use as their on-hold music (I
heard that way too often and way too long :-( ).

Colin McGregor