Linux-friendly PCI dialup modem?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 3 13:30:27 UTC 2006

Colin McGregor wrote:

>As for modems, I paid $499 for a 9,600 bps modem (OUCH!!! but it seemed like a good deal at the time...).

Well, when that's all there was...

I had one of the original Telebit Trailblazers (dark grey case,  just
like the one in the photo at
http://www.tonh.net/museum/telebittrailblazer.html ). I was able to get
it for the _discounted_ price of $1K because the 386 it was attached to
was a known UUCP/Usenet  mail/news forwarder. That box served a bunch of
sites and was for quite a long time the southern Ontario gateway for the
entire biz.* hierarchy. Once a night (at 11pm, once the long distance
rates went down) it would call Chicago and exchange all sorts of stuff,
which would then get unpacked, forwarded and expired by the hours-long
run of Cnews. I think my site and Drew's "lethe" must have between us
sometimes served the half of the city that didn't get fed by UofT. But
you could do that with Trailiblazers. :-)

(By comparison, the USRobotics HSTs that all the BBS and FIDOnet kiddies
were playing with at the time were mere toys that couldn't do half the
bandwidth.)

Sometimes, when one reads about the net-neutrality garbage and the way
email is spammed and snooped, it's easy to get nostalgic for the days
when you could trust the others on the UUCP network as a simple and
straightforward place to get your mail, FAQs, porn and flamewars.

"You send 'mail' to people by typing at a computer? What a stupid idea,
it'll never catch on..."

Evan Leibovitch
{uunet!utzoo|ihnp4!attcan}!telly!evan